Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cauliflower Mac & Gouda...in Drums!

I decided to try two things this month: 1. a recipe with Gouda and 2. a recipe using leftover mac & cheese to create drums. I first figured Gouda would be my cheese of choice, since I've never made mac with Gouda and well, It's All Gouda! I also figured it was suitable to use the mac & cheese to make drums in memory of my late husband, Pat. November is his birthday month and since he was a drummer, it's a little tribute to him!

First, I made the Cauliflower Mac & Gouda recipe from a cookbook my friend Jen gave me for my birthday this summer, Macaroni & Cheese, a Favorite Brand Name Recipes book.  


Ingredients
  • 1 16 oz package uncooked bowtie pasta (I used medium multigrain shells)
  • 4 cups milk (I used skim, because that's what I buy)
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed (I minced it in my garlic press)
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 16 oz Gouda cheese, shredded
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs

  • DIRECTIONS
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in pasta pot with insert. Add pasta; cook according to package directions or until almost tender. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep warm. Return water to boil.
Bring milk and garlic to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat; keep warm. Discard garlic. (I kept the garlic in, since it was minced!)
Melt 1/4 cup butter in large saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk, whisking after each addition. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
Add cheese, mustard and paprika to sauce mixture; whisk occasionally until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Preheat broiler. Add cauliflower to boiling pasta water. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Toss pasta and cauliflower with sauce mixture. Spoon pasta mixture into 10-12 ramekins or 13x9 inch baking dish.
Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add panko; stir just until moistened. Remove from heat. Sprinkle panko mixture over pasta mixture. Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown. (I skipped the topping all together!)
Shredded Gouda
Milk & Gouda mixture
Cauliflower Mac & Gouda
Since I skipped the topping all together, I sampled the mac & Gouda for my dinner! Boy, was it Gouda!  Next, I lined my ramekins with thin slices of ham before I filled them, in order to make the drums. The drum idea came from Kitchendaily.com, 9 New Twists on Macaroni and cheese: Macaroni & Cheese DrumsOriginally, I was going to use zucchini to make green drums - a tribute to Pat's "Mean Greenies" he built. But, the ham was a little less expensive, since zucchini isn't in season anymore, and it's easier to use, since I don't have to grill it first! And, well, it's pink - my favorite color!
Ham lined ramekins to make the drums
Cauliflower Mac & Gouda added to drums
Ham folded over mac & cheese to finish drums
I'm freezing these for now. Portion control! When I thaw one out and bake for dinner some night soon, I'll post a pic of how the drum looks when it comes out of the ramekin! 
"Drum, solo, with titanium spork. Thanks Amy!" - PMK
My friend, Pat, took a picture of his Drum today! I think it came out quite good looking, if I do say so myself! Not to mention, yummy! Thanks, Pat, for such an artsy photo!

1 comment:

  1. I just had a sample of this and it is really really gouda.. Truly. I will be making this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete